Hi everyone! I’m going to share my office desk makeover with you today!
I bought this ENORMOUS desk off of ebay and didn’t really know how big it was until the 2 guys brought it out of the depths of the shed!! I bought it with the intention of it becoming a cute little writing bureau but it was too big so it sat under the pergola for ages until I had the idea to put all my boys into the same bedroom and take over the back room as my ‘Gingernut cave’!
So this is what it originally looked like
Now here it is all made over!
So I used milk paint for this project. I put the universal bonding primer on first because I didn’t want to do any prep and the surface was in excellent condition. The primer is white so when I did the distressing some of that showed through and it looks really nice having that two toned effect. I did 2 coats of milk paint and finished with a soft sanding and then clear wax. I didn’t want to darken the look any more because the room I use it in is quite dark, so I didn’t use the dark wax in the end.
The draws sat for a few days until I got up the courage to attempt a harlequin pattern. I saw a tutorial to help do it on The Purple Painted Lady . So I set myself up and off I went! Looking at it now in the photo, I think I could have been a little bit more cleaver and lined up all the patterns with the same colours…..but never the less I am pleased with the finished product! Again the draws got light sand and then a coat of clear wax to finish and some new hardware!
So now I have a massive work area, but no doubt I will fill it with stuff without much delay!!
I will be sharing this project over at:
Beyond the Picket Fence
The shabby creek cottage
Miss mustard seed
Have a great weekend everyone!